Saturday, July 13, 2024

Memory Lane of Childhood Adventure!

Due to my previous blog posts, I am remembering my childhood days. Once, my school bus did not show up at my school, and I did not know what to do. We had no phone, and I could not call anyone. I decided to walk to my aunt's home, which was not very far from school, but the door was closed, and no one was there. 

I was just around 9 or 10 and did not know how to take the bus back home. However, I knew the road and decided to walk back home. It took around 3 hours, and the road was deserted in most areas. I had heard stories of violence on the road and nearby before, and I was scared. I pretended not to be scared, and I walked.

There was a famous landmark we called the "yellow building," which is a charity hospital for leprosy. I was scared of that place because of the rumors and stories around it. Nevertheless, I saw food houses just across from it and decided to buy a snow cone there as I was very thirsty from walking. The people there looked friendly and smiled and talked to me, and my fear disappeared. Then I kept on walking until my legs hurt. I did not go home and went directly to my mom's office. She was there; I ran to her, held her, and cried. Later, I started to learn how to take buses from school to home.

Once, I convinced my mother to send me to my grandmother's home alone. I do not remember my exact age, but I was between 8 to 11. I think I was 9, but I am not really sure. No one was free to accompany me there, and I was missing my grandmother and her home, so I used my little brain to make my mother believe I could take care of myself along the way. Finally, she agreed and took me to the ferry and let me go. 

The ferry ride lasted around two hours, and no one noticed I was alone. I took a shared horse cart ride to my grandmother's place upon arrival, and people started to notice I was alone. When I arrived, my grandmother was horrified to see me alone, and I think she scolded my mother later. It was not the mobile phone era, and we did not even have a landline, so we could not call and inform anyone in advance.

Now I am thinking I was just very lucky that nothing happened to me. I did not know the danger and therefore, I did not care. 

Just a few memories of my childhood that came to mind this morning.

image generated with AI

No comments:

Post a Comment