Monday, July 15, 2024

The Power of Acceptance!

As human beings, we can never be perfect. Therefore, in relationships, we usually seek acceptance. Once, I came across a video that said what people look for in marriage is acceptance. I think it's the same in other types of relationships, such as friendships and other platonic bonds—acceptance is the key.

I remember the people who accepted me as I was and loved me for who I was throughout my life. There are few, but they do exist. I believe my grandmother was someone I could always trust for acceptance and love, no matter what I did or who I was. 

Later, in my fourth standard (equivalent to fourth grade), I had a teacher who loved me, thought highly of me, and said I was like his daughter. He gave me confidence and a sense of belonging. I was very sick when I took my fourth-standard exam, but I got the third-highest mark in the whole township for fourth-standard students, and I think it was because he believed in me. I am still grateful for his acceptance, kindness, and love.

Then, there was an English teacher from a private school who thought highly of me and made me believe I was already good enough. My English improved with his teaching and his acceptance of my weaknesses, and I loved the language for the first time because of him. I only had one class with him, but he gave me enough confidence and enthusiasm to keep learning the language to the next level.

In my first job, my supervisor was a very tall Indian American woman with large, beautiful eyes. She was the first person who told me I was very strong. She said she thought it was my Indian blood that made me so strong. She also said that I was like a foreigner in my own country, referring to my punctuality and my perspective on things. Then I had an academic advisor who was also a professor and head of the program when I had the chance to pursue further studies. He said I was his favorite student and called me outstanding, which made me believe in myself during those years.

There are also a few people who said things to make me believe in myself once or twice, and I am grateful for all of them. These days, I don't blame anyone; I think it is embedded in our culture and is something common, and I am not the only one who has suffered from that. Part of my childhood was filled with words that made me not believe in myself or feel bad about my existence, such as "you are bl***y useless" and "good for nothing." These words became part of my self-talk later in life. 

Recovering from those continuous years of daily negative affirmation is not easy, but I try to overcome it as much as possible.

Therefore, I am grateful for all the people who accepted me as I am and thought I was good enough for the things I was doing or pursuing throughout my life. Just a thought of gratitude this morning.

image generated with AI

No comments:

Post a Comment