Thursday, September 12, 2024

An Enduring Bond!

Yesterday, my friend arrived, and I went to meet her in the afternoon. We ate together and chatted, and it felt like old times, as if we had never been apart. She said I still look the same, and I think she also still looks the same. Talking to someone who holds a special place in your life can soften your heart and change your mind about so many things.

I realized my thoughts were changing on the way back home. I am seeing things in a different light and in different colors. She has her own busy schedule, and we may not meet in person again before she goes back to the country where she works, but I feel this one time is enough. 

I am not the type who remembers other people's birthdays, and many of those close to me know that. She is one of the only three people whose birthdays I remember. The other two are my younger brother and sister. I don't even remember my niece's and nephew's birthdays, and I’m not trying to. These memories just come without effort. 

I had a few close people with over 30 years of friendship until a few years ago. I became disillusioned with them after some incidents. Therefore, she is currently the person in my life with the longest friendship—18 years. We met at work, and it started with the common songs we liked.

We do have different tastes. She said she likes the new vocalist of Linkin Park, while I tried but still cannot accept her. While I acknowledge her voice is really good, she is not Chester, and her voice cannot evoke the same emotional response in me. My brother felt the same, and I only learned about the replacement when he texted me. 

I started listening to some songs from her generation because of her. She likes hiking in the mountains for days, something I never even dreamt of. She is a highly social person with many friends everywhere, while I am the happy-alone type with a few selective friends. We are no longer that close, but she is still irreplaceable in my life. 

Just recording my memory of yesterday.

Image generated with AI

No comments:

Post a Comment