Monday, September 30, 2024

Journey of Self-Love!

This morning, I woke up after 2 a.m. as usual, with a song lyric playing in my head:

“He says, ‘When you gonna make up your mind?

When you gonna love you as much as I do?’”

It’s from “Winter” by Tori Amos, and I recently learned from an online video that these words were inspired by something her father said to her.

I’m also fond of the lyrics from “Stay the Same” by Joey McIntyre, a former member of New Kids on the Block:

“Don’t you ever say

You don’t like the way you are

When you learn to love yourself

You’re better off by far.”

In the song, he says he wouldn’t change anything about the person he’s singing to.

These song lyrics remind me that I'm not the only one who struggles with self-love. Many people around the world face the same challenge. For me, the first step in learning to love myself was distancing myself from certain people in my life. It took a lot of courage and many years to do that.

But today, I’m finally at a point of progress. I believe it’s never too late to start loving yourself.

Throughout my life, I’ve always focused on how to improve one thing after another, rather than accepting who I am. I wonder, if I could just accept myself as I am, even for a moment, would anything in my life change? Yet, even in thinking that, I find myself wanting to change something.

If I had a daughter, I’d tell her: “Try your best to achieve what you want, but even if you fail, I’ll still love you just the way you are.” Maybe I should say that to myself.

Yes, I need to be here for myself, always—no matter what.

Image generated with AI

No comments:

Post a Comment