Friday, September 20, 2024

The Shadows of Fame!

I don't feel like sleeping tonight. I’m craving a cup of coffee and finally decided to give in. So many memories are flooding my mind, and I also feel like writing.

I’m remembering my high school days. My first school was well-known in its city. However, my second school was even more famous because the grandsons of the President at that time attended it. I had a classmate who was the daughter of a minister, though I’m not sure which one. They came to school in distinct black cars, and we always knew when the sons and daughters of ministers were around.

We also had children of other famous people, as well as students who later became famous themselves. Two students from the class one year ahead of me became well-known songwriters and vocalists. Another student, also became a famous songwriter and writer, was a friend of my younger sister. He eventually married her best friend.

A son of a famous actor and a son of a well-known vocalist used to walk down our corridor almost daily, admiring the older girls. They seemed like kids to us, and one of them was especially cute. We would just laugh at them.

Most of the time, I don’t think their parents’ status affected our studies. I saw most of them as just ordinary students. However, there were a few issues. Teachers were often hesitant to take action when students were connected to powerful families. I remember one teacher who had a problem with a student from an influential family; eventually, she couldn’t teach at our school anymore.

This also affected my younger brother, which is why it stands out in my memory. He was punched by one of those kids, but the teacher didn’t dare to intervene. That was just one incident, though.

After I finished high school, I had a teacher who was connected to the family of famous vocalists. She took me to their house, where I visited, ate their food, and found them to be very friendly. Later, she introduced me to another famous family, that of a vocalist and an actor. They weren’t home when I visited, but I met their mother and enjoyed their hospitality.

I also had a mutual friend whose sister was married to a famous vocalist, and one of my uncles was friends with a famous actress. So, by chance, I found myself around these people. I got to hear inside stories from those close to them and realized they had little to do with the rumors I’d heard.

Later, I became friends with a music producer, and through the university I attended, I met or got to know more famous people. After university, I went to a gym where regulars included vocalists and actors, so I often found myself around them. Yes, I also have a famous person in the family.

Still, these experiences with famous people, and seeing how their lives were subject to rumors and public scrutiny, taught me something important: fame isn’t what it seems from the outside. Being around these individuals made me realize that the rumors we hear are often far from the truth. Though they lived in the spotlight, I saw them as regular people, with their own struggles and desires for privacy.

I love writing, but I don’t like being famous or receiving public attention. My brief encounter with fame, though small, made me realize how uncomfortable it is to have people project their own narratives onto you. Fame brings expectations and misunderstandings that can be overwhelming, and that period of my life made me realize I didn’t want that.

No matter what I say or do, some people will always view me through their own lens. I prefer living in anonymity. Even with a few brief moments of recognition, rumors still spread about me, and that period felt like hell.

I thought I was contributing to the public with what I’d learned, but the unexpected responses made me no longer want to contribute at that level anymore.

Still, I enjoy writing. These days, I write for myself and for my own happiness. The existence of this page is enough for me to express my thoughts and feelings for now.

These are just some memories and thoughts that came to mind tonight.

Image generated with AI

No comments:

Post a Comment