Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Memory Reframed!

Today, I managed to sleep for about seven hours, with just one interruption during the night. It's a rare occurrence these days, and I’m really happy about it. 

There are so many thoughts on my mind, and I feel the urge to write about them. I know no one is particularly interested in my life, but I want to write anyway.

Last week, I watched a video that said, "No one really cares about you," and I agree with that sentiment. Everyone is fighting their own battles, and no one can fully care about someone else. We need to accept that, live with it, and find happiness regardless. Still, it’s good to have friends sometimes.

I’ve felt alone from time to time, but now I’m remembering that I used to have at least a few friends around me. When I was studying in the U.S., my best friend was Haitian. Other friends who cared about me were from Indonesia, Mongolia, and Iraq. I also had friends from Cameroon, Congo, Afghanistan, and Côte d'Ivoire. Fulbrighters always feel like a large family, and throughout those years, I always had people who cared about me.

I also studied regularly with an American classmate in my final year, and I also had other non-Fulbright classmates who loved me. It was a good time. 

During our one-month pre-academic training, I studied with students from Japan, South Korea, Brazil and Vietnam, and we kept our friendships alive for a few years. We even reunited when some of us attended a Fulbright seminar in Boston. We used to exchange group emails, and my friend from Vietnam visited my country twice. He also visited Japan when one of our Japanese friends got married. Now, unfortunately, I’ve lost contact with all of them.

When I attended a one-month training in India, my best friend there was from Africa. I think she was from Ghana, but I don’t remember exactly. I called her once after we returned to our home countries, but we didn’t have much to say to each other. I also got along well with friends from India and went out with them from time to time. I wasn’t as alone as I sometimes remember.

Now, I have a friend in the building where I live. She’s from South Korea. We met at the gym when she introduced herself and started talking to me. Every time we meet outside, I struggle to remember her face, but she always greets me first. Now, I’m making an effort to remember her face and name. I think she’s in her 30s.

Yes, no one will truly care about me, but it’s nice to have someone who recognizes my face and says hello whenever we meet. As humans, we crave social connection, and we do need healthy friendships.

These are some of my early morning thoughts.

Image generated with AI

No comments:

Post a Comment